Feb 19, 2010

Over the hills, and through the woods

Saturday we are hopping in the car at 6am and driving 3 hours to visit my grandma in Idaho. My grandma has been in Idaho for at least 4 years now, but I haven't seen her in 12 years!! Due to whatever circumstance was upon us, we could never make it up there when my parents went. She's never met my kids, or my husband. It's almost ridiculous really. I'm hoping that this trip will open the door for many more trips to see grandma.

Growing up as a military brat, we never lived close to any extended family, so I don't have any kind of relationship with any of my grandparents, none of my aunts and uncles really, nor my cousins. When you live on a military base, and every other kids is in the exact same boat, this doesn't seem so weird. Now that I have been in Utah for 11 years (wow, really.... that long??) Every one's extended family practically lives down the street, they know who (or even that they have) 2nd and 3rd cousins. It makes me realize that I missed out on something pretty special.

There are wonderful opportunities for family (immediate) to grow very close to one other on military bases, because you're all each other have, and you know there is always a chance that the enlisted parent can be called away to duty and not make it back home. So I don't regret the way that I was brought up. I am much stronger and more independent because of my experiences. But I am grateful that I have the opportunity to provide for my kids something I never knew. With both sets of grandparents within 15 miles of us, all their aunts, uncle, and cousins within the Wasatch front, they have the chance to build relationships with family that I never had.

Perhaps this trip to Idaho to visit my grandma is a chance to take for myself, something I've always wanted. Because really, you're never to old to start building relationships. It's never to late.

No comments: